– Injector problems: the injection system and its breakdowns
– Tips to avoid injector problems
If your car emits strong fuel odors or the engine is running, and you can’t start it, your vehicle may be suffering from an injection system failure. This article tells you everything to help you see things more clearly.
Injector Problems: The Injection System and its Breakdowns
Role of the injection system
A lambda engine needs air, fuel, and a spark to operate. The mixture ignites when you turn the key: your car starts.
The injection system’s role is to proportion the ratio of fuel to air entering the engine so that combustion occurs.
Note: In the event of a breakdown or malfunction, your vehicle may remain silent or become particularly greedy on fuel.
Symptoms and Diagnosis of Injector Failure
A failure can be detected through various events:
– A smell of fuel persists;
– The engine is low in power;
– The machine is running but will not start;
– There is a feeling of jerking during acceleration;
– The vehicle spits out thick smoke.
Today, it is possible to drive nearly 300,000 kilometers with little care without ever experiencing a breakdown. If a breakdown nevertheless occurs, you should seek professional help.
Important: If you are not an experienced mechanic, don’t try to get your hands in the sludge. The injector is an essential part of the engine, so beware; improper handling will cost thousands of dollars.
The cause of the failure can come from several places:
– The turbocharger is broken: the electronic system no longer works and no longer transmits the correct parameters.
– The injection pump may have seized up or suffered from a significant leak.
– The injectors are clogged. They may open as usual, but the air or fuel has difficulty passing through them.
In all these cases, the bill can be expensive. Repair, including labor, can cost you over $1,000.
Tips to avoid injector problems
To avoid annoying and costly repairs, here are a few tips:
– Choose quality fuel, especially if you have a lot of quick trips around town. It will delay the fouling of your engine to a maximum. Don’t make small savings with cheap quality fuel!
– Never leave the tank almost empty; you risk corrosion of the pump and injectors!
– Change your fuel and oil filters, and use quality oil. The goal is to keep your engine clean for as long as possible. The more you take care of it, the healthier you will keep every part of the system.
Tip: If you tend to use your car only in the city, the engine may slowly drown under a few small polluting particles that will foul your vehicle. Once a month, drive a few dozen kilometers at a good pace on the highway; this will free up your engine by thoroughly cleaning your mechanics.
But why encourage you to drive faster? There is a much simpler way to clean your engine. As simple as it is, you can rev your engine while your car is parked. Press the gas pedal a few times, spin it up to 5000 rpm, but please do not spin it to the maximum. Do not let your rpm counter get to the red part, as too many revolutions can damage your pistons.
You can read more here: