– Tuning rims: a reminder of the characteristics of a wheel
– Tuning rims: specificities of wheel tuning
– Useful recommendations for tuning rims
– Price of tuning rims
First of all, let’s specify that the term rim is not appropriate… Indeed, the rim (where the tire is mounted) is part of a set with the rim (central part allowing the fixation to the hub), which composes the wheel.
Tuning consists of personalizing a vehicle to make it unique in its aesthetic and, if possible, powerful. The replacement of the original wheels by gleaming alloy models is one of the operations allowing this transformation.
This post tells you what you should know before tuning your rims.
Tuning rim: a reminder of the characteristics of a wheel
We define the wheel by:
– its diameter in inches (1 inch = 25,4mm);
– the rim width in mm;
– the number and diameter of the mounting holes;
– the fixing (studs – nuts);
– the diameter of the central bore (if it exists);
– the offset.
We’ll see further in detail below.
Tuning wheels: specificities of wheel tuning
It is an alloy wheel with different colors, emphasizing your vehicle from an aesthetic point of view. It can differ technically from the original wheel by several aspects.
Its diameter is increased:
– if the manufacturer has not foreseen several wheel sizes, it will be necessary to reduce the height of the tires to keep the same final gear ratio;
– if the manufacturer provides several wheel sizes, you will be able to modify the height of the wheel + the tire, provided that you modify the parameters in the engine computer (operation requiring a diag device, which can be carried out at the dealership) in order not to distort the speed read on the dashboard.
One of the most critical considerations in deciding whether a wheel would suit your car or truck is its offset. Most front-wheel-drive vehicles have a positive offset, so you’ll need to reduce the offset if you want to put wider wheels on your car.
The modification of the offset is made in a double objective of aesthetics and better road holding.
The offset will be increased in the negative direction (in other words, the tire’s position will be shifted outwards, which will increase the track, and thus the vehicle’s footing on the road).
Often, the offset is accompanied by a greater width of the rim, thus the tire’s width.
Useful recommendations for tuning rims
Any change in the characteristics of a vehicle is not trivial and can lead to severe malfunctions:
– increasing the offset moves the point of contact with the ground outwards, thus increasing the lever arm and the forces acting on the wheel bearings as well as on the suspension and steering ball joints;
The possible increase of the tires’ width and offset will also demand more effort on the steering and harden it in the maneuvers at low speed.
Attention: if the studs or nuts are not supplied with the wheel, think of changing them so that their characteristics conform with the new wheel (especially if the original wheels are in sheet metal). Tightening should be done with a torque wrench to preserve the elastic cone at the level of the fasteners, whose role is to lock them.
Price of tuning wheels
The price of your wheels varies according to the material and the size: count between $150 and $600 each (multiply by 4 + the cost of tires).
With this information, you can now start buying your dream wheels!