– Bodywork paint touch-up: minor imperfections
– Preparing the bodywork before a paint touch-up
– Equipment: spray gun, spray can or pencil?
Car paint touching up requires meticulous preparation.
Car paint is used to paint a car or to touch up paint on the bodywork of a vehicle.
Bodypaint touching up for minor imperfections
Bodypaint touching up is ideal when there are:
– small dents,
– deep scratches,
– rust spots,
It allows, in a short time, to find perfect bodywork. Retouching is a simple, quick and inexpensive way to renovate.
Preparing the bodywork before a paint touch-up
Before carrying out a paint touch-up, it is essential to prepare the surface:
– sand the surfaces to be painted in circular movements until the bodywork is perfectly smooth: be careful not to press too hard on the sanding tool,
– Apply a rust inhibitor to the area to be retouched using a brush and allow it to work in (respect the time indicated by the manufacturer),
– Degrease the surface with a product such as a detergent to be rinsed with clear water,
– Apply the body filler in successive thin coats and allow to dry for one hour,
– Use body tape and newspaper to protect the areas of the vehicle that will not be repainted,
– Apply a coat of primer.
Equipment: spray gun, spray can or pencil?
It all depends on the surface to be painted:
– large areas: spray gun,
– small areas:
◦ car paint spray can: requires following a complex preparation procedure,
◦ car paint pencil: In a shallow bodywork scratch, its use does not require any special preparation apart from cleaning the surface to be treated.
Car paint spray can: to repair minor defects
You can use car paint sprays for minor paintwork repairs. It is used in particular when certain bodywork elements are:
It is particularly appreciated for its ease of use and lower purchase price.
Many advantages: resistance, aesthetic and practical
Spray paint for cars has many advantages:
– excellent covering power,
– a colour identical to the original one,
– a long-lasting colour and shine,
– excellent resistance to UV rays, atmospheric conditions and light,
– anti-corrosion qualities.
Not to mention the ease of application, which is within everyone’s reach.
How to use spray paint: the steps
Touching up paintwork should be carried out using a car paint can of the same colour as the bodywork, taking care to avoid differences in the bath:
– Spray the can from a distance of 20 to 30 cm away from the painted surface: horizontal and vertical movements allow the joints between the successive layers of paint to be masked,
– Allow drying for about 15 minutes,
– Repeat the operation and allow to dry for 24 hours.
After drying completely, polish with a special liquid to obtain a perfectly smooth surface and a shiny appearance.
Bodywork pencil: for minor touch-ups
To remove a scratch on the bodywork, many companies market innovative and revolutionary products in the form of a bodywork pencil. These have the particularity of:
The body pencil is extremely easy to use and inexpensive.
Long-lasting paintwork with this type of pencil
Many car owners use body pencils for their advantageous properties:
– perfectly matches the original colour of the bodywork,
– protects against corrosion,
– can be used on all vehicle surfaces,
– excellent durability, etc.
Body pencil: very simple to use
The body pencil is easy to use and does not require any special knowledge in terms of body paint retouching. The operation consists of:
– Shake the pencil well before use to mix the product sufficiently,
– Apply the tip of the pencil to the scratch, pressing firmly along the length of the scratch,
– Allow drying for several hours,
– lightly sand the treated area.
Hope this post helps you touch up your autobody paint. You can request help from Melton Smash Repairs on High St, Melton. They have a 24HR ADVICE LINE ON 0401 552 810.